This is a super easy carnivore ice cream recipe using just three ingredients: eggs, collagen powder, and honey.
You can make both dairy-free and dairy versions.
It takes about 5 minutes to prepare, 4 hours to chill, and serves 5.
If you don’t have popsicle molds and are okay with a bit of seasonal fruit, you can make instant ice cream with a bit of fruit and serve it straight away (see instructions below).
If you have little children, they can make it under adult supervision and will definitely enjoy their creation.
- 3 raw medium eggs (egg whites removed if desired)
- 100g of collagen powder. You can use whey protein concentrate if you are okay with dairy. If the whey protein has natural sweetener like stevia, you can omit or half the honey otherwise it’ll be too sweet
- 2 tbs of raw honey. You can also add an optional 1 tsp of vanilla extract for added flavor
- A blender or a food processor
- Popsicle molds
- Blend all the ingredients together at high speed until smooth and creamy
- Pour them into the popsicle molds and chill for four hours in the freezer
- Run under warm water for 15 seconds and gently remove from molds to enjoy.
I usually use fresh eggs from our own chickens.
If you use store-bought eggs, please pasteurize them to be 100% safe by following the steps below:
- Choose fresh eggs and don’t use cracked eggs or eggs that have passed the expiry date
- If they have been in the fridge, bring them to room temperature by leaving them on the kitchen bench for about 20 minutes
- Place the eggs in a pot, fill the pot with water enough to cover the eggs
- Slowly heat the water using low to medium heat till the water temperature reaches 60 degrees Celsius (140 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Maintain the temperature for 5 minutes
- Drain and rinse the eggs with cold water. The eggs are ready to be used at this point or you can store them in the fridge for about a week for later use.
This is what I started with: raw hydrolyzed collagen peptides, raw eggs, and raw honey
Here is the ice cream mixture after blending
Pour the ice cream into the popsicle mold
This is the final product
It is very creamy and has a strong honey flavor because I use plain collagen powder.
If you don’t like the honey flavor, you can use 1 tsp of vanilla extract and other natural sweeteners like stevia.
Carnivore ice cream with dairy
You can use whey protein concentrate to substitute for collagen powder if you don’t have a dairy sensitivity.
Whey protein is a popular supplement for bodybuilders because it is a high-quality and highly bio-available complete protein that is very rich in essential and branched-chain amino acids which are great for muscle synthesis.
Heavy whipping cream is also another option, but it is high in fat whereas whey protein concentrate is mostly protein and would be lower in calories. So whey protein concentrate would be preferable if you are watching your weight.
Choose grass-fed whey protein if you can, see two examples below (no affiliate):
Carnivore adjacent version
If you’ve read other articles on this site, you’d know my view on plant food.
In this post, I argue that the healthiest diet for humans is the ancestral version of the carnivore diet which consists mostly of animal-based foods and occasionally a very small quantity of seasonal plant foods. This is exactly what our ancestors used to eat for millions of years that determines the genetic makeup that we inherit today.
If you don’t have any specific health issues with plant food, a bit of seasonal plant food can be beneficial. This is because plant anti-nutrients can act as acute stressors to make your body more resilient and stronger. A small amount of plant food can also help you maintain your metabolic flexibility. Moreover, our ancestors thrived on a meat-based diet for millions of years but were unlikely to have been exclusively carnivores.
If you can handle plant food okay, you can add about 1/2 cup of frozen berries, banana, or avocado (whatever fruit in season that you like) to make a thick ice cream that can be served straight away, no chilling or popsicle mold is needed.
Here is an example where I used fresh avocado for a soft serve.
If you have some health problems with plant food or are still going through an elimination phase, then definitely stay away from plant food.
Please check out my other carnivore diet recipes here and learn how to cook beef liver, make a healthy carnivore snack, bone broth, or a calcium supplement from scraps that are normally destined for a landfill.
Other posts you may be interested in:
- Carnivore-ish Sticky Pork Belly Recipe
- How To Make Crispy Fat Chips
- Carnivore Osso Buco Recipe
- Beef Tendon Stew Recipe
- Delicious and Nutritious Carnivore Meatloaf Recipe
Disclaimer: The information in this post is for reference purposes only and not intended to constitute or replace professional medical advice. Please consult a qualified medical professional before making any changes to your diet or lifestyle.